Tuesday, December 10, 2019

10G / 25G cross-compatibility

Hey networkers, server guy here!

Been checking datasheets - but honestly I'm not convinced yet and answers I got inhouse were kinda mixed as well. So maybe someone can confirm or deny ...

We'll likely update the switches to 25G ports in the server range and I'm checking my options. If I understand correctly, whether or not SFP28 25G transceivers support 10G data rates seems "some do some don't", for example Intel says the transceivers for their xxv710 25G cards do support 10G while Arista says theirs don't and HPE seems to largely ignore 25G anyways.

Now I've cleared up most things but, from your experience - can I expect this to work:

Intel XXV710 cards with SFP28 25G SR transceivers connected to HPE 5700 or 5900 switches with regular SFP+ 10G SR transceivers (no direct-attach here). I know SFP28 or SFP+ doesn't actually matter here, it's just for further specification what I'm trying to ask. ;)

That'd be cool because I wouldn't have to "mix and match" cards and transceivers and could just go with 25G-only in new servers ....

Thanks!



No comments:

Post a Comment