Monday, December 2, 2019

AT&T Fiber modem extended by way of vlan trunk?

I saw this post:

https://community.ui.com/questions/Simple-networking-Q-extending-homerun/d0910497-c763-440c-bdd2-37a93c4aec98#answer/bd017ef8-df52-4cd7-b6fe-0e9c9838525b

and have a similar problem, although not from ONT to modem, but from MODEM to Router.

I have a switch that I have mounted in my garage that connects everything in the house, including my AT&T fiber modem (ARRIS BGW210-700). I then have another switch as a TOR switch in my rack that sits about 15 feet away, along with my Palo Alto Networks firewall. Currently I run a 15ft ethernet + 15 ft DAC from the house switch to the TOR switch (and the enternet cable goes to the WAN port of the firewall). I'd like to combine these if possible so that there is only the DAC cable going between switches.

I've already configured the two switches (Mikrotik) to Trunk between them, and then assigned a vlan (2000) to one port on either end. I figured that I could use this to bridge the AT&T modem across the trunk to the WAN port on the firewall, but when I do this, I get no internet.

On both switches, I configured the Access ports as follows:

vlan mode: strict
Vlan receive: any
default vlan id :2000
force vlan id: yes

a diagram of what I'm trying to do: https://imgur.com/rka5cBX

Is this even possible? I was thinking maybe I change vlan mode to enabled instead of strict, but i don't know if that will change anything, and for all I know this may not even be possible. has anyone tried anything similar?



No comments:

Post a Comment