Thursday, November 7, 2019

MTU mismatch on trunk to remote switches

Hi all,

I have a Catalyst 3850-48XS that I need to land two fiber circuits into which run to remote facilities. I have my 3850 configured for 9000 MTU because I have some storage servers connected to this switch.

The two remote switches (on the other end of the fiber circuits) are 1500 MTU standard switches.

We plan on setting up two “transport” VLANs / SVIs and connecting my switch with the remote switches that way. (L3 trunks)

At no time should any client machine on my side send a jumbo frame toward the remote switches.

Am I going to have problems due to the mismatch? Or is going to fine since as long as traffic on my side is sent from hosts at 1500 MTU it will traverse the L3 fiber circuits fine.

Should I configure the SVI for 1500 MTU?

Thanks so much!



No comments:

Post a Comment