Friday, November 8, 2019

Laptop Hardware and OS Recommendations: Linux VM on Windows, or Windows VM on Linux?

I'm due for a new work laptop. While suggestions about the hardware are appreciated, I know that question comes up almost monthly and I can search the past posts just fine. I'm also pretty sure I'll end up with an X1 Carbon.

That being said, I'll be loosing the MacOS terminal and all it's unixy goodness, so my real question is: how many of you run a Windows VM on your Linux OS, or a Linux VM on your Windows OS; how do you like it; what would you change; what issues have you encountered?

I don't think there is anything I must have Windows for--office-wise almost everything is web-based--although I do prefer the native Outlook application and I haven't thoroughly tested openconnect vs AnyConnect. Most of my time is spent in Firefox, SecureCRT, Slack, VSCode, and a text editor for notes (sublime, but I'm not married to it).

For those of you suggesting hardware my only requirements are: USB-A-style port and single-cable dock that supports dual displayports. I'm fine with an Ethernet dongle as long as the dock supports it.



No comments:

Post a Comment