Friday, November 1, 2019

I need some advise on Media Converters, just need a sanity check.

I have a remote site where the ISP delivered (it's stupid CenturyLink) a DIA two floors up from our space with long-haul 10km Single-mode fiber SFP thats 1/10/1000 Gbps capable.

If I were to purchase a cheap Media Converter like say this one - https://www.amazon.com/Gigabit-1000BaseT-single-mode-1000Base-converter/dp/B002N90OIO or one off FS / etc. just something that is 10km Single-mode capable - are these devices pretty much 'dumb' - can I expect it to 'just work' providing me Copper Ethernet that I can dump into our public switch?

The other option is piping it directly into our Cat 9300 on a isolated VLAN, I have SFP ports available on the module - but for security reasons would like to keep it completely out of band.

Thanks in advance for your time.



No comments:

Post a Comment