Wednesday, October 2, 2019

Windows DNS Server and Root Hints

Our POS vendor fat-fingered some migration of their licensing server so the www subdomain was not resolving to anything. And that is the URL that the software is reaching out to for license info. After a lot of back and forth it seems it is finally resolving on 'most' name servers. But of course it is not resolving on the root servers defaulted in our Windows DNS server for our domain. I added dns.google [8.8.8.8] to the root hints as it is resolving with them. But it is still not on that particular domain. Is there something I am missing or some other thing I need to poke to get it resolving. I've not had to mess with Windows DNS server a whole lot as it usually just works and we don't have a very complicated needs. I've seen where adding a Forwarder is discouraged in this scenario. Is that right?

The URL in question is: www.microsale-pos.net



No comments:

Post a Comment