Wednesday, October 23, 2019

Not holding professionals accountable for their knowledge is a toxic culture in Networking.

I've started to see somewhat of a worrying trend in Networking. There is a toxic culture of lack of technical accountability and pride in ability. I've seen it when two people sympathise over their lack of understanding on a topic like it's something to be proud of, as opposed to something that is a weakness, somewhat shameful and in need of fixing.

The conversation goes something like this:

Person_A: Oh I have no idea about how STP works

Person_B: Neither do I

Person_A: ha ha, it's too confusing

Person_B: I know right?

End of conversation

I have no issues for someone to come forward with that they lack knowledge in an area, but this softening of expecations "Oh you're a CCIE who doesn't know STP" and just accepting them is really starting to worry me.

It seems that RTFM has become a swear word in most offices now and there is no accountability, just a big group hug between people who have NFI what they're doing. I'm not saying I have all the answers, but I felt like coming into the Networking field it would have some of the professionalism of an "Engineering" (Mech/Tele/Elec) discipline but that appears to have lost some of it's lustre over the last decade. I felt that entering this field I would see a level of professionalism that would influence and rub off on my career. I've yet to see it.

Thoughts?



No comments:

Post a Comment