Monday, October 28, 2019

Norther CA fires, power outages, and data systems losing signal

I'm in Northern CA and we've been without power for a couple days and I've noticed I'm starting to lose signal to cell towers. Normally I have full 4/5g, but that fell down to low signal, and now is basically no data at all and only text and call.

So I have a few questions:
- During extended power outages what do mobile and hard-line (coax, fiber, etc) data providers do to maintain availability?
- Is what I'm experiencing the result of cell towers running out of back up power or an attempt to save power? Given the high winds it could also be damaged towers I suppose.
- Is there a way to get a live look at mobile signal strength overlayed on google maps or similar?
- I have att fiber at home, if I were to power my router, modem, and fiber converter, in theory, could I still have internet?

(I'm at work now were we do have power)



No comments:

Post a Comment