Monday, October 28, 2019

Loopbacks for management: Good idea or not?

Maybe this is a dumb question but here goes. We're using management vlans for our network devices. Some are L2 only but most are L3 now. I know that some people use loopback interfaces instead. I know this has some advantages, the most appealing to me being that it never goes down and can be easily routed dynamically (we are using eigrp.)

But my concern is this. Let's say I designate a /24 space for these IPs. If they're all /32's, isn't that going to bog down all my routing tables? Each one will have to be a separate entry. Is a big number (hundreds) of routes just for management kind of a bad idea?

Am I missing something, or would it be wise to use loopbacks sparsely for this reason? What kind of management schemes are you guys using?

thanks



No comments:

Post a Comment