Wednesday, October 23, 2019

netstat on local systems shows high number of ipv4/6 Received Packets Discarded, Redirects, Failed Connection Attempts, Reset Connections and Segments Retransmitted

I've been troubleshooting various "network slowness" issues and other things and I've checked and double-checked network switch statistics and ports and various things but nothing really stands out screaming "this is the problem!". I did notice there was one switchport that had very high Received Packets Discarded and I traced it back to a regular old user workstation. I did a netstat -s on it and saw that it was showing a continuously growing number of Received Packets Discarded and so I checked the NIC and ethernet cable and did a Wireshark pcap and some other things. One thing I also did was do a netstat -sp on about 6 other workstations and I am seeing pretty much similar results where systems show a varying degree of seemingly high ipv4/6 Received Packets Discarded, Redirects, Failed Connection Attempts, Reset Connections and Segments Retransmitted - see screenshot of these two computers

 

I am just trying to determine if these stats are relatively normal or not. I don't seem to have near as many counters on my local system so I'm guessing it has to do with the various apps users are using day to day or if there is something wrong with the network.

 

I plan to do as much research as I can but figured I'd also ask here to get a jump on it if anyone can provide some insight.



No comments:

Post a Comment