Wednesday, October 23, 2019

Landed a Jr. Network Engineer position. I'm underqualified and need help negotiating salary

I'm currently IT support at a local manufacturer. It's pretty much tier 1 and 2 help desk, with a lot of business support responsibilities. I pull around 17/hr or ~35k a year, working in a major city in the deep South

The people hiring me know I'm underqualified, but the start of their newest contract involves a lot of line pulling, punch downs and hardware mounting which I'm good at.

The local director wants someone like me, fully aware of my skill set and where I fall short, so he can train me the way he wants to. I have to negotiate salary with the head office.

From what I've read a Jr. Network Eng. position averages 61k. How should I negotiate this salary, without coming across as arrogant or ignorant when throwing out a figure? Realistically, what salary range should I expect? It is government contracting and they will have me get a clearance relatively quick, and from what I understand the salaries for individuals in companies like this tend to be inflated. I'm 25 for what it's worth.

I'd really appreciate any feedback, suggestions or encouragement in general. Thanks for anyone taking the time to help me. I'm so excited.



No comments:

Post a Comment