Thursday, October 24, 2019

Looking to replace ASA5505 - stick to Cisco, or are there greener pastures?

As ASA5505 is going EOL, I'm looking to replace it with something new. ASA5506 is the most obvious replacement, but reading some of the posts around various subreddits leads me to believe it might be wise to look around for something other than cisco, with the likes of Sophos and Fortinet mentioned among others.

It's used in a ~100 pc site, a handful of site-site VPNs(one to ERP provider, and a few to small remote offices) and 10-20 remote anyconnect users.

I can't say anything bad about reliability because it's been working fairly well for me. The management is quite a bit of pain though, and it's one of the reasons I would be looking for something that's more straightforward to use(I have quite a lot of responsibilities, and battling ASDM/CLI is just eating up time I could use for other things). Other reason being that I hear mixed news about new cisco products(buggy or not on par with same priced competition).

Should I look elsewhere or just stick to 5506?



No comments:

Post a Comment