Tuesday, October 15, 2019

Learning about Failovers and VLANs

In an effort to improve cross-business performance for things like IP phones, data storage and centralized server application access, I’ve decided to try linking our buildings via a wireless point to point link. These properties are across public roads, so a wired link between them is not an option.

The concept is simple, but I believe I’ve gotten myself confused about some things and I’d like a second opinion.

I have essentially two networks which have independent internet connections and networks. Currently the phones are all interconnected and hosted through the main site, accessed through a site to site VPN. While this is stable, I don’t have much bandwidth. To solve this issue, I’ve added a point to point link, and unfortunately it cannot be connected directly to the router on both ends. (see the diagram).

I’d like to configure the link to support multicast across both ways, and while I was able to get the link working earlier today, multicast did not appear to be working properly. This could be a firewall issue but I’d like to know if there anything you can see wrong with this diagram.

(The diagram isn’t exactly my network and it’s possible that I’ve made a mistake at replicating it for you, but I did indeed have a working connection over the link for RDP and file sharing earlier)

https://imgur.com/a/2ZcAvJY

As for how I configure the actual failover, it seemed to failover fine using this guide

https://www.sonicwall.com/support/knowledge-base/configuring-vpn-failover-using-static-routes-and-network-monitor-probes/170504720505274/



No comments:

Post a Comment