Friday, October 4, 2019

I need advice on how to avoid being dragged down by a messy team and terrible management.

We have lost a lot of great engineers very quickly, currently the remaining team members are very new and many of them are very anxious about learning difficult/new topics. Most are happy to work on what they know and I feel this starting to rub off on my behavior. Almost like a shared sense of hopelessness. I've seen this before at University where a large group of the cohort refuse to learn something and find other people who are in the same boat. They form somewhat of an echo chamber and this just perpetuates the self-doubt.

The managers are non-technical and so focused on appeasing their upper managers they forget they're actually managing people, not robots.

I understand that "just change jobs" would be a practical solution but unfortunately I won't to become stronger willed and not just run. I've found that most jobs are no better and this one pays well.

PS: I work at a vendor TAC

Some thoughts so far:

  • Isolate myself and focus on my own work

  • Work from home more often

Any thoughts, ideas?



No comments:

Post a Comment