Monday, September 2, 2019

ChromeCast cross VLAN, Blocking other MDNS Devices

Hi all
Got my first chromecast today and went to set it up, but then remembered it uses MDNS for network discovery.

I was going to install it on my IoT Network (I have a few VLANS to keep devices separated) but hit a roadblock with the cross vlan mdns issues.

I know i can enable a few things on my router (unifi USG) and get cross vlan working (quite a few forums online telling you how)

The problem is I dont want to turn on cross vlan for everything, as I have other devices I want to keep separate (cameras, printers etc)

Is there some way ( firewall rules ideally? ) that I can say allow the chromecast (IoT Vlan) to be accessible from my main and guest vlans? while stopping everything else (printer for example) from being discovered on the guest vlan?

I know there are options like mdns repeater servers which I can use if needed, just wanted to try avoid having to run another VM just to route traffic.

Thanks in advance.



No comments:

Post a Comment