Friday, August 30, 2019

VMWare Network Connectivity Issues in vSphere connected to Cisco ACI lab Environment (Stuck)

I was creating a VM in my company's non production lab environment, but the device was unable to get a DHCP address from the scope. So I checked the vSwitch's VMKernal port and the ip address associated with vmk1 was not pingable. Okay simple enough, I find a different static address for that VMK and I should be good right..... well not exactly.

I changed the IP address to the vmk1 and refreshed to hopefully allow my vm the ability to communicate the outside world/DORA for a DHCP address, and I instantly knew something was wrong. As of currently, I have a constantly pingable ESXI environment that host's the VM, but SSH (Which is turned on) and the Web GUI are unable to be reached (aka no login prompt). The vlan associated with the vmkernal port is being allowed across the trunk and is not being pruned, I insured that.

I would think that the login page to get access to the ESXI host environment, would be available if the ESXI host device is pingable. Also with our Lab ACI environment, we currently are not enforcing contracts, but I think that ACI is where the issue may be. The configuration to the best of my knowledge goes like this, ESXI on Server-> 3750X -> N9K Leaf (There is no firewall). The login page can't be hosted on a sub VM inside ESXI connected to a vswitch, otherwise you would never be able to initially setup the environment in the first place, and just overall that makes no sense.

Anybody ever run into this?



No comments:

Post a Comment