Thursday, August 15, 2019

RFC 6598 - Carrier Grade NAT. How to Automate?

I'm in the process of building out a project for work and need some input since I've never worked on this type of level. We connect customers to different services and the IPs assigned from those services are all over the 10.0.0.0/8 subnet and almost randomly assigned to us. Using the 10.0.0.0/8 space has proven difficult with conflicts on our customers end and we need a fix. We plan to use the 100.64.0.0/10 identified in RFC6598 to allow our customers to use a more friendly 100.64.0.0 IP address which is NAT'd to a 10.0.0.0/8 with NAT44 or even possibly NAT46 in the future. This needs to scale to about 500,000 translations.

I've built this out in a PoC and know that, technically, it works but I need to figure out how to automate the process 100%. There are several triggers from our business processes that would require appends, drops, and edits to the IPtables.

I'm asking here to see if there are any CGN tools that help manage this level of NAT on this type of scale? I know it has to exist for some of the big providers but I'm not able to find anything. Anyone able to identify some tools that could help with this?



No comments:

Post a Comment