Tuesday, August 27, 2019

Network Canary

Ok, so I dont know if this is the best sub for this, or the best name for this.

What my problem is: I have an office with around 15-100 people using it at a time. We have a bunch of APs around, and a controller (all UniFi). sometimes people tell me they're having problems with reception (like 2-3 people have complained, but nobody else has). managing the network is what we (devops) do whenever something comes up, so no fulltime network ops.

What I want: some sort of dashboard that will show network health. I'm thinking some kind of Raspberry PI device I can just put in the network, with a publicly available dashboard that will show network quality.

I'd like to show basic stuff like dns health, ping health to specific internal services, stuff like that.

That way when somebody complains, I can just make sure they check the Canary and they know maybe its them. I'm even willing to make the Pi battery powered, so they can move it around the office to check spots.

anybody do something like this?



No comments:

Post a Comment