Tuesday, August 27, 2019

L3 Ubiquity Switch vs pfSense Router on a Stick

Small business of 45 employees and roughly 10 servers. I'm using 3 Ubiquity EdgeSwitches for internal switching an old I3 Dell workstation running pfsense for firewall / vpn. Current setup includes 3 vlans to isolate VoIP from internal LAN using one of the edgeswitches for intervlan routing. I'd like to add another 3 vlans for internal wifi, guest wifi and servers and considering trunking all the vlans to the pfSense for routing. I realize the main disadvantage is all traffic would go through a single gig interface, and even worse local traffic would traverse twice in/out. How can I establish my requirements and compare if I should keep using the Edgeswitch with L3 routing (using limited access control lists) or setup the pfsense as a router on a stick. I want ease of management but I don't want to introduce a performance bottle neck. Does the EdgeSwitch do L3 at wirespeed? pfSense is running on a i3-2120 3.3Ghz 4GB RAM with a 2 Port Intel EXPI9402PT PRO/1000 PT.



No comments:

Post a Comment