Tuesday, August 27, 2019

Hosted VoIP Implementation Issues - In Need of Suggestions

Had a site switch out an on-prem ShoreTel system for a cloud managed VoIP solution from 8x8. Since the cut-over there have been constant problems, from random phones showing "Line Unregistered", to very poor audio quality. The site isn't large, one router, two switches in a router-on-a-stick setup. I have the ACL configured to allow the phones access out to the IPs and ports I received from 8x8 all working, so I believe the router is good (Cisco 2911 on IOS 15.7).

The switch stack is two Cisco SG500-52P (ugh, I know). I updated these to the latest firmware to try and alleviate the errors. The auto voice VLAN is configured and uses the router as a DHCP server. This auto voice VLAN also triggers whichever port to run a macro to assign an ip phone to the voice VLAN and also pass the data VLAN to a PC connected to the phones LAN port on the back. I was getting eee multiple LLDP neighbour errors on the switch, so I tried disabling auto smart port and entering the port configuration manually , but that didn't help. I also disabled EEE (energy efficient ethernet) LLDP, but still got the errors.

I have a feeling that if the problem does lie in my configuration somewhere, then it is on these switches. The vendor, 8x8, suggested turning off SRTP on the phones, but apparently the portal they can access is a few versions behind and can't get that setting. I guess my question is, has anyone run into anything like this and what did they end up doing to resolve? I realize it could be a multitude of root causes, but I'm open for any suggestions. Thank You!



No comments:

Post a Comment