Wednesday, August 21, 2019

Catalyst 9k, stacks, mismatched licenses ?

Hello all,

My understanding is that when building a stack, the license level has to match. I believe the mismatched switch(es) won't even join the stack ? This makes sense to me otherwise how would it work ? If the least licensed switch became master - I'd assume you'd lose advanced layer 3 features for example, and the config would get trashed with missing sections...

I have a client that has various 9300s, of various license levels (Net. Essentials vs. Advantage). We looked at the show license right-to-use output from one of their stacks, and 2 of the 3 switches reported Network Advantage, but the 3rd switch showed output for both Essentials and Advantage. What would this mean ? Was this switch license upgraded at some point ?

Sorry for the lack of details and history on this, I'm playing catch up/forensics trying to unravel what they have purchased and how it's working. My general MO is buy what you need, get it all the same, build your stack, and go on with your life. I'm just struggling unraveling what this client has and how to get them to where they need to be. Thanks.



No comments:

Post a Comment