Wednesday, August 21, 2019

3rd party company set up Cisco switch for my company and I feel like I'm locked out of it.

I work for a company that is acquiring smaller companies rapidly and our infrastructure is playing catch up. Before I got here there are 2 cisco switches that are synced with a Meraki cloud. This setup was commissioned out to a 3rd party network consulting company.

We want to add a new switch and integrate it into our Meraki. My game plan is to download the running config files off the current 2 switches and upload them to this 3rd switch once it arrives.

The switch models, and the next one that is being ordered, are Cisco MS120-48LP. https://meraki.cisco.com/products/switches/ms120-48

Here's the issue though, I cannot find anyway to get into the switch's CLI or the http splash page when you type in the switch's IP address into a browser. I think this 3rd party company locked the switch down to prevent getting into these resources. The IP address page times out and there's an ethernet port on the back of the switch, which I assumed was for serial cabling into. I have a usb to RS232 converter which connects to the Cisco rollover cable.

I tried using Putty at various speeds to get to the CLI and made sure all settings were correct, but nothing I tried worked. I ran an ethernet cable to this management port and got to a management webpage, but this only allows to change the same settings as you can do in Meraki. It's not the http splash page that allows you to download the config file, etc.

I've contacted the consulting company, but they're giving us the run-around and told us "There is no local config on Meraki switches and also no capability to access a CLI" and "these features never existed" (which I am smelling total bullshit on). Everything my gut is telling me that they disabled these features to force us to go through them.

Is it possible to disable the CLI from the management port and disable the http splash page on these switches? If so, how can I unlock these features and get into the CLI or this splash page? Once this new switch comes in, can I plug it in and just use Meraki to clone the settings into this new switch?

Feedback would be greatly appreciated, thank you!



No comments:

Post a Comment