Tuesday, July 30, 2019

When you can't afford a traffic generator (lab rant)

I have trying to find a way to measure the performance of my Juniper SRX345 that I've got in my lab. As it only has 1Gig interfaces, but is capable of 5Gb/s throughput I decided to build two LACP LAGs with 4 GigE interfaces in each to an EX3300 - That showed to be much more trouble than I thought (despite it worked kinda ok) - but I got issues with return traffic and couldn't tell if that was a problem on the SRX side not being able to handle the traffic, or issues with the hash (I'm doing L4)

Instead I decided to get dedicated L3 interfaces on the SRX, one for each Gig interface, in total 8 (the SRX has an additional 8 SFP but I don't have any copper SFPs in the lab) and stretch that into my EX3300 ans L2 and up to my ESXi hosts that has 10G NICs. So I spun up 8 (!) linux VMs with iperf3 and run 4 concurrent flows, all at 1Gb/s each.

https://i.imgur.com/GGmy9AZ.png

Does anyone have a better idea how I could test this?



No comments:

Post a Comment