Saturday, July 27, 2019

The struggle of a color blind Network Admin

I am (mostly) red and green color blind. I had no idea i was color blind till a friend in college noticed that i kept mixing up the color red for green and vice versa so i took the color blind test and apparently i failed miserably.

Fast forward a few years later, i became a network admin and i had to terminate ethernet cables. Its fair to say i almost never get the cables right the first time, especially the stripped ones (brown/green?). I am very grateful for the cable testers, they are pretty good at telling you which cables are off and you can easily fix it. For me, i either try to guess or i ask someone to verify the colors for me. The struggle is real.

For the most part, its just frustrating to me that i cannot get the colors right the first time and i waste time trying to make it work or i have to bother someone to verify it for me. However, i have never thought that being color blind makes me less of a network admin. I find comfort in the fact that i am not a chemist and if i mess the colors, i will always know. And with the new influx of "the cloud", i might not have to terminate cables as often as i used to.

What are your thoughts?



No comments:

Post a Comment