Friday, July 26, 2019

ISP Throttling Internet Speeds Past 12?

Hey all!

I've just replaced a faulty AirPort Extreme with a Linksys AC1750 in my long chain of a Wi-Fi network I have (Airport >> Airport >> AC1750)

Because I've been up so late configuring everything, I started to notice after running speed tests every 30 mins or so, the down/up speeds get slower and slower, to the point where I get less than 1.5mbps download... Though, when I set it up around 10pm, I was getting an easy 30mbps. I know that the late hours usually have a high influx of Netflix streamers which causes ISPs to get overwhelmed, but I mean less than TWO mbps??? It's pretty much unusable after 12. On Xbox I get 1.09 download.

Earthlink is my ISP, and I hate it but my parents haven't gotten around to changing anything (I'm college student). Honestly, I'm looking for some hard-evidence to why this issue is happening and if Earthlink is to blame. Because if so, I might look into comparing prices of other ISPs.

Between Spectrum and Earthlink, my parents pay over $200/mo and if we are getting shortchanged, maybe it's time for a switch.

I know that some routers have "nighttimes" where they pretty much shut off during certain nighttime frames, but I don't think Apple AirPorts have that, nor did I find that with the AC1750.



No comments:

Post a Comment