Wednesday, July 24, 2019

Can NBASE-T-capable SFPs work in older 10G SFP+ Ports?

Right now my home server is a HPE ProLiant ML110 Gen10, and the onboard Broadcom NICs aren't working for my use case (I'm on FreeBSD and FBSD's Broadcom driver sucks). I am considering getting a 10G NIC.

On eBay, open box Mellanox NICs are going for $50-60 whereas new NBASE-T-capable Aquantia AQtion NICs are $80-100, so why not save the extra money for a server-grade NIC?

However, I am asking if a NBASE-T-capable SFP would work on the Mellanox SFP+ cards made pre-NBASE-T standardization. Would they?

Currently, my LAN operates at a Gigabit and I'm not upgrading in the short term. However, if I'm looking at a new NIC anyways why not prepare for a 2.5/5/10 Gigabit LAN in the long term instead of just staying with Gigabit?



No comments:

Post a Comment