Monday, June 3, 2019

Sanity check about 1 GbE and 10 GbE connectivity

Running into a strange issue.

Have a 10 GbE network working mostly fine on a Netgear ProSafe M7100-24x.

Setting up a new HP Z8, I’m seeing that for one port, when Cat 7 is connected to the 10 GbE NIC, I get no LED: no amber, no green, nothing. Windows says a cable is unplugged. In BIOS, there’s a function to flash the LED to identify which port is which, and even that doesn’t work when the Cat 7 is connected.

The Z8’s 10 GbE NIC works fine when I either: (1) connect to a different drop with Cat 7 or (2) if use a Cat 5e in the problem drop to connect and set it to 1GbE speed.

Similarly, when I connect a MacBook Pro with a 10GbE adapter and a Cat 7 cable on the problem drop, I get no connection when using any Cat 7 cable. However, just like the Z8, I can connect fine with Cat 5e.

So for two different workstations, why might a 10 GbE NIC totally fail to get a connection with different Cat 7 cables but work fine with Cat 5e?

Tried lots of different Cat 7 cables that I know are good.

Is something screwed up with the cabling in the wall? Crimped wrong or something?

I’m having a tech come out to check the cable but I just wanted a sanity check that I’ve actually isolated the issue.



No comments:

Post a Comment