Saturday, June 8, 2019

Routing versus Streaming throughput using FreeBSD at 10Gbps and over.

On the one hand you have Chelsio publishing benchmarks showing a FreeBSD based router with over a 40Mpps NetMap throughput using it's T580-CR adapter here (it was published in 2015). Next there is a different benchmark here using a T580-LP-CR adapter, also a 40Gbps adapter. (This one is dated 2014) And here we have a Chelsio T62100-LP-CR which features an almost total offload at 100Gbps.(Published in 2016). The T580-CR seems to have a current cost of around $600 new, but you can find them cheaper. Then there is Netflix showing a machine pushing almost 90Gbps of TLS traffic here. (From 2017) Oh, I forgot, Netflix also likes Cheliso adapters too.

One the the other hand I have seen more than one posting here(within the last year and a half) saying that FreeBSD as a router would be lucky to get away with pushing enough packets/traffic to to need more than a 10Gbps adapter. Now mind you one of those comparison posts also used NetMap. All of these posts are newer than any of the above. I am not posting these as I may have misinterpreted what I read, i.e. I'm covering my ass... :)

I can't believe that a firewall/routing workload is so much more demanding compared to a TLS streaming workload that it would destroy enough of the performance to bring down network utilization by what, 60% or 70%?

What am I missing? They both can't be right unless I have catastrophically misread one side or the other.



No comments:

Post a Comment