Saturday, June 15, 2019

Recommendations for serial / console port usb adaptors?

My previous laptop died and with it the onboard serial port. I’ve got a temporary laptop but no serial port. I’m trying to find a new laptop with serial port but they are thin on the ground and was wondering what the state of play these days is with usb > serial / console adapters is these days.

Last time I played with them was maybe 10 years ago and I always had a lot of trouble with them. Are they any better these days and reliable enough not to need to worry about a built in serial port? If so what recommendations are there?

Ideally would like something that will work with most kit out there. Perhaps even with kit that requires a custom cable. If there is anything that can handle that at the software level even better to save carrying around a load of cables.

Thanks for any suggestions 👍



No comments:

Post a Comment