Friday, June 7, 2019

Possible Routing Issue

GM Reddit,

​

Hoping someone could give me some next step idea's on a issue I am facing. I currently have a router/firewall on a stick topology for my network. I have a watchtguard M440 running the show. My network is pretty much all flat with about 5 vlans. All vlans plug into a port on the watchguard and each port has its configured IP as the gateway for the network.

​

The gateway IP's configured on all the interfaces on the watchgaurd are ending in .254. No static routes on the watchguard or on any of the switches.

​

192.168.10.x

192.168.20.x

192.168.30.x

192.168.40.x

192.168.50.x

I have added a sonicwall to my network going out a different WAN connection. My plan is to move some of the networks off my the watchguard and over to the sonicwall. I want to leave my infrastructure subnets (servers,network equipment) on the watchguard for now. Let's say Server infrastructure is 192.168.10.x and network infrastructure is 192.168.20.x. I added an interface to the sonicwall for the infrastructure and network infrastructure networks on my sonicwall that are the same subnet as the watchguard.

​

Sonicwall interface 1: 192.168.10.1

watchguard interface 1: 192.168.10.254

Sonicwall Interface 2: 192.168.20.1

Watchguard interface 2: 192.168.20.254

​

On the sonicwall, I have it physically connected the same. Flat vlans directly from the switch to the corresponding interfaces.

​

When I go to change my personal laptop gateway to 192.168.20.1 from 192.168.20.254 (because I want to go out this specific WAN pipe (sonicwall)) I am no longer able to communicate with the server infrastructure subnet(192.168.10.x). I have internet connectivity, but can't ping or RDP to any of my servers. Of course if I add a second default gateway to my laptop pointing to the watchguard again, I can then communicate but I'd like to get it working without this method.

​

The weird part is my DNS settings are pointed to the servers on the server subnet and I can still resolve public domains on the internet. So it appears DNS is still working but I can't ping or RDP or manage my servers.

​

Hopefully this is enough information to start a conversation. Thanks!



No comments:

Post a Comment