Tuesday, June 25, 2019

Issues With Powerline Ethernet Speeds..

Hey gang. I figured you guys would best be able to offer me some advice.

My primary reason for using Powerline Ethernet was to use in-home streaming on my Xbox. 5Ghz wifi was... Serviceable, but I had to keep streaming quality at lower quality settings to avoid sudden spikes in muddled garbage. Really ruins the experience overall. Good quality, more lag and sudden halts in streaming. Low quality looks pretty bad.

So I did some reading, and came up with using powerline. I was aware the I wouldn't necessarily get blazing speeds, but that latency would be a huge benefit to it. And so, I went on Ebay and got a couple cheap D-Link adapters, and finally set them up a couple nights ago.

It was underwhelming. I was still getting huge spikes in lag. I was able to set quality a bit higher, and latency was marginally better (tested it). But no real improvement.

I quickly noticed what I believe to be the problem. My speeds were low. REALLY low. My 5Ghz wifi speeds often reach well over 75 mbps during game downloads. But after checking my speeds through the Xbox interface, I was seeing a pathetic 14mbps. I knew Powerline tends to be a bit slower, but makes up for that in latency. But this was embarassing.

The adapters I have are 200mbps adapters. I guess the typical entry-level stuff nowadays. Could it be that there's something wrong with them? Maybe I should try for better units? Could it just be that my home's wiring is not up to par? These houses weren't exactly built yesterday...

One thing I've noticed, at least according to others, is that file transfers across my network seem to be quite low. I think my router is capable of 300mbps transfers, but actual transfer speeds tend to be more in the range of 15-25MB/s depending on types of files. Can I just chalk that up to overhead and call it normal? I'm a comcast router from about 4 years ago. Would it be worth a try to just swap it out for a newer model?

Sorry for essay guys. Thanks so much for your help! :)



No comments:

Post a Comment