Tuesday, June 4, 2019

I need to configure a Ubiquiti radio to work as a bridge in router mode

Setup looks like this: MikroTik router -> Ubiquiti AP (bridge mode) -> Ubiquiti client radio (bridge mode) -> customer supplied router.

I want to use my MiokroTik (DHCP server enabled) to shape traffic to the customer's router. Our provisioning software (Sonar.software) uses address lists and Mangle Queues to limit bandwidth and it works great. However, I can't rely on the MAC of the customer's router to stay the same as they can replace it at any time. I have been able to shape traffic with the client radio in router mode as it has an IP in that mode. However, I need to eliminate that layer of NAT as many users have issues with gaming systems, etc., with double and triple NAT. I would like to configure the CPE radio (airOS firmware version current) in router mode but functioning as closely to a bridge as possible. Again, the primary focus here is eliminating NAT from the radio's configuration.

I've seen a post talking about using DHCP relay and a static route but it is a bit over my head.

I worked on getting DHCP option 82 working correctly as this is a typical solution to this provisioning issue but from everything I've read and experienced, this feature is SUPER beta on airOS at this time. I'm skipping it.

Any input is much appreciated.



No comments:

Post a Comment