Wednesday, June 26, 2019

Diagnosing Ethernet issues in new building my company purchased

To start we recently purchased this building that was renovated 5 years ago and the previous owners installed 2x 2-port cat5e keystone jacks in each office. Only one port per plate is actually connected to a patch panel. Over Ethernet speed tests get around 40-60mbit and over WiFi you can get at least 300mbit.

I’ve noticed some of the wiring is extremely old and damaged, there’s some mismatched jacks and wiring, though the patch panel is cat5e. Some wires are not using all 4 pairs.

Our switch is gigabit and all that. I’ve used cat6 patch cables from the patch panel to the switch. Is there anything I should test or figure out?

The only real option I see is re-running all the existing wiring by taping new cat6(a?) to it and pulling it through. I don’t think it should be too difficult as the building is only 3000 sq ft and two stories with drop ceilings and I know where all the wiring goes. Is this worth it? We need reliable, fast Ethernet for voip and video calls.

One other side benefit to rewiring is right now the wiring to the network closet is too short to reach the rack so I have the patch panel wall mounted near the ceiling and 6ft patch cables to the switch which is ugly as hell.

What should I do reddit?



No comments:

Post a Comment