Wednesday, June 26, 2019

Default Originate on ProCurve 3500yl

I’m in the process of restructuring my home lab into iBGP to play nice with NSX, and to learn interior protocols. The existing architecture is fairly simple:

  1. Global routing/firewall with pfSense, peering with FRR

  2. One core L3 switch, ProCurve 3500yl servicing the rack and underlay

  3. One access L3 switch, ProCurve 3500yl servicing WiFi and general home connectivity

Each switch hosts a /16 supernet with various VLANs.

Where I’m running on fumes is with distributing a default route from the core to access (0/0); summary routes over iBGP work fine, and I foolishly solved this prior to the redesign just by redistributing connected routes (bad practice, I know).

The question: how is this normally handled in an enterprise setting (if even relevant)? The default-info originate command is missing from K16.02 on the ProCurve line, so short of just assigning 0/0 on the core to the access neighbor, I’m at a loss. Curious if I’m missing a fundamental concept knowing that this is very simply addressed on IOS for both BGP and OSPF.



No comments:

Post a Comment