Wednesday, June 12, 2019

Career Move - From NOC to Engineer, but full time to contract. Worth?

My current employer is a sinking ship, I feel, and I feel my career has reached a dead end. I'm currently acting as Tier 2 Data in a NOC environment ( I reconfigure broken devices, make small changes to fix things, sometimes large changes as rerouting traffic to different cards in enterprise equipment, have lots of obtuse hardware knowledge, current CCNA, CCNA SEC, and JNCIA ). I currently make 62k + benefits.

I was offered a Networking Engineer spot at one of the "big 3" ISPs as contract for 90k. My goal is eventually Engineer, Sr. Engineer, Architect. I feel like I was unable to attain this role at my current position, as they've been under hiring freeze for several years now.

I am a little nervous about the jump from full time to contract as I live alone, and this would mean removal of my benefits, but I have been trying to secure an engineering spot for almost a year at this point,at almost any company, unsuccessfully.

Is it worth the jump? The new employer says they convert contract to full time usually within 3-6 months if you're good, and I have several "moles" who have moved to this company from my current company who can confirm that this is true.



No comments:

Post a Comment