Thursday, May 23, 2019

PRO 1000 PT Vs i219v

Hi Folks.

I'm currently looking at a dual port and quad port variants of the PRO 1000 PT on my desk and I'm curious to know whether there is a large performance difference Vs an i219-v onboard ethernet adapter.

My goal is rock solid link stability and consistent latency. The onboard i219-v seems to be garbage when it comes to stability and responsiveness under Windows 10 and Linux (Arch, btw ;)). No matter how I tweak flow control and offloading etc.

Basically, what I'm seeing is random drop outs that occur for tiny fractions of time at random intervals. It's not a regular interval (like maybe every 15-20 minutes or so) and the link seems to go super laggy for a split second then comes back. Windows is much worse at recovering from this "micro drop" than Linux is.

In Windows if I'm doing a large file copy, the drop is long enough to break the file transfer, but short enough that there are no obvious signs a drop has occurred...barely detectable, like a fart in the wind. The only way I could spot it was to leave a ping rolling where I noticed when the drop occurs there's a smallish spike in latency for one packet.

CPU usage can be incredibly low and nothing else can be happening except the ping and it still occurs...less pronounced on Linux, but still there.

Usually, I'd just whack a PCIe card in and be done, but all I have to hand is a couple of relatively ancient server cards.

I can't see any significant differences between the newer chipset and the older cards but maybe you guys can point them out.

I should point out that I've tested the cables, switch, patching and swapped everything out and the same thing happens.

My guess is the i219v is just shit.



No comments:

Post a Comment