Wednesday, May 29, 2019

Nexus C6509 VXLAN Compatibility and Learning

I inherited an enterprise network and now I need to understand how to manage it. We have Nexus 9ks at a distribution layer with a C6509 as the core layer. It looks like we are utilizing VXLAN between the Nexus VTEPs but I haven't seen any documentation that says it is possible to do this but it must be possible or we have a connection that isn't documented and doesn't come up with I try to use CDP Neighbors. Is it possible to run VXLAN over a C6509?

I am leaning towards replacing the C6509 with two Nexus switches to form a spine and leaf topology but if I can use the C6509 as the core with VXLAN riding on top of it I will have trouble justifying it to management. I inherited the network in mid migration from having access layer switches moved from the core to the Nexus stacks and I am about to double my access switch count for another project. I want to make sure I have the proper core topology before I try to complete these projects.

My background is not in networking, I know more about virtualization and end devices, but I am moving more towards an enterprise architect role and the network is a major part of that so I am trying to learn more about the network. I have been learning a lot on the job and a bit from studying to get my CCNA, but what resources should I look at to learn more about this level of networking? I am doing my own research, but I want to make sure I am not missing critical knowledge. The CCNA doesn't really cover it, would resources for the CCNP teach me what I need to know or is there a better certification I can find resources to teach me?



No comments:

Post a Comment