Saturday, May 18, 2019

Needing some help with home network

I've been out of the network administration scene for about 5 years and needing some help.

I recently got divorced and have moved into a family members basement (renting) for the next year or less while i pick up the pieces and put myself back together. What I'm looking to do is connect up my web server, plex server, and Nas through a Cisco catalyst through the second port on the x1 rodem or through the port on the linksys router that is being used for all the other equipment.

That sounds a bit odd. Let me try that again. The first point on the network is the xfinity x1 rodem, they have all of the xfinity equipment connected to this. Connected to this is a linksys router that is used for all the personal devices.

I have 3 thoughts Would it be OK to put the Cisco into the dmz on the rodem. If I do this can I just remote into the boxes normally if I'm connected to the linksys wireless?

Should I port forward to the Cisco from the rodem?

It seems like more work than needed but would it be better to connect through the linksys?



No comments:

Post a Comment