Saturday, May 18, 2019

Angry rant about failed cert

Sorry, but I have to get this out.

I recently had the opportunity to take a 3 day Layer8 CCSA class, all funded by my employer. The class seemed fine, the instructor gave ya all of his notes and was essentially reaching us the test. The fans were informative.... All seemed well and like the exam would be easy to pass.

I'll get this out now.. I have no previous Checkpoint experience. I've spent years administering other vendors firewalls and hold the associated certifications.

Anyways, I has a test scheduled yesterday, I did my normal study routine, puchased practice tests, etc... I show up to take the test and I failed miserably.

The problem with the test was half of it was never covered in the Later8 class. Checkpoint only allows certified organizations to teach their curriculum, so why was the material not covered? The class included VPN config, Clustering, Licensing, user MGMT, logging, and the Checkpoint policy stuff. I passed all of the questions asked about this stuff the other half was just garbage.

I'm disappointed in this whole process. I'll take the exam again on my own dime, but the whole experience feels dirty. It feels like Pearson, Checkpoint, or Layer8 just want to take my money.

Had anyone else had this experience?



No comments:

Post a Comment