Wednesday, May 22, 2019

Multicast on Avaya 4550T & 36xx Switches

Need a sanity check here to see if I'm on the right path. I'm trying to lab some multicast paging devices before installing it at a customers site. It will consist of some server units at one location and some receivers at a few other locations on a L3MPLS network (going to need to tunnel over this). Recipient speakers will vary depending on which paging function is used. To mock this up I've set up an old Avaya 4550 switch with some SVIs on it in our lab and placed each device in a different VLAN based on what location it will live at once installed. I may hunt around for other switches later but I also have an Avaya 3526 to use though I don't think it will matter since the multicast docs on it are identical.

Where I'm stuck right now is my discovery/programming tool usually only finds the paging devices on the same VLAN as my laptop is plugged into. Every device is already configured with the correct IPs. I'd like to say the occasional discovery of other devices is a quirk or some misconfiguration on my part in the device/tool. I'm going to Wireshark and play with it more tomorrow to see what it's doing so I'm mostly concerned with the multicast parts. I've enabled IGMP snooping and IGMP proxy on each SVI and it looks like the switch sees all the joins and is happy with it.

To my knowledge, the network consists of a mix of my own Avaya 36xx series switches and my customer's Meraki stuff (firewalls/switches) but I'm going to try and get more details on the topology tomorrow just in case I'm responsible for some routing instead of just their Meraki stuff. I'm also unsure if I'll be able to make this work without PIM in the event that my switches are doing routing on the network since the docs for these switches don't mention PIM anywhere and I haven't been able to ? my way to PIM anything on the switches.

I THINK I need PIM at this point (PIM-sparse in particular from what I understand) to get across the VLANs on this switch and later my customer network. I also found some stuff about mrouter ports but I'm not solid on what they're used for. From the documentation I've read is that they're used for when you have more than one querier on a VLAN that the switch can see and you want to receive traffic from more than one, is that correct or close?

Is it possible to reliably get multicast to route across a multisite network without PIM?



No comments:

Post a Comment