Wednesday, May 29, 2019

K-12 large network set up help

Hi!

I'm a junior sysadmin and am still very much learning. I"m trying to set up a complex network and learn along the process.

Our network has the following topology:

- ISP Fiber comes into building A - symmetric 50/50 that is handed over to us over ethernet

- Microtik Routerboard that currently has the IP 10.0.1.1.

- From here the internet forks into a Ubiquiti Rocket that has three remote locations connected to it that all rely on my network for internet- their IPs are statically set to 10.0.1.x

School A has a dell Sonicwall and a Unifi Security Gateway that I'd like to set up.

Our DHCP server is currently the main Windows server (running Server 2012 R2) located at 10.1.1.1. Our switches are all Unifi 48 port switches.

We have 4 wifi networks:

Guest, Students, Faculty, and Admin. I'd like to set up VLANs and make it so students cannot access Admin and Faculty devices.

Issues:

  1. We've had a recurrent issue for months where my Unifi Access Point Dashboard constantly tells me there are DHCP authentication errors. This is backed up by our chromebooks and other devices consistently being unable to connect to the Wifi

To resolve this issue I'd like to rebuild the network from scratch.

Questions:

  1. I would like to use PFsense on an old windows server for content filtering. Should I ditch the Sonicwall?
  2. Out of the devices we currently have, what is the best to use as a DHCP server?

I was hoping to set up the following ranges:

  1. Admin - 10.1.10.1-254
  2. Faculty - 10.1.20.1-254
  3. Printers - 10.1.30.1-254
  4. Students - 10.1.40.1-254
  5. Guests - 10.1.50.1-254

Does this sound like the best way to do it? I have the ability to recreate everything from scratch and set it up in the most efficient way possible.



No comments:

Post a Comment