Thursday, April 11, 2019

VLAN hopping on non Cisco switch

Hi guys,

I'm doing a project for school which requires me to setup a network. Within this network there are two VLAN's. The reason for me to set it up like this is to test VLAN hopping technique, specifically the switch spoofing one.

If I understand correctly, the switch spoofing technique relies on the dynamic trunk protocol. The protocol negotiates if the port should go into trunking mode or access mode. If it's in trunking mode you can pass all 802.1q tags (and they will get forwarded), because that's the purpose of trunking mode. Therefore, if you can get the port into trunking mode, the switch spoof is successful.

However, I do not posses a Cisco switch, but a HP one. I have not found a similar protocol to DTP which is, to my understanding, a requirement for switch spoofing. The closest I could find was the GVRP protocol, but that one is closer to VTP, which does not allow switch spoofing.

So the basic question is: Is VLAN hopping only possible on switches which use DTP? Or are there similar protocols (for other vendors) which allow switch spoofing to happen?

If anyone would like more information, please ask (:

Thank you for reading!



No comments:

Post a Comment