Friday, April 5, 2019

Slow Network, Crashed HP Enterprise Printers

Hello...quick background. I'm a 23+ year experienced IT Professional. In the last 8 years, I've held an IT Generalist/Jack of all Trades IT Director position. I am also SOLO IT guy. Networking is my weakest area.

Today around 12:20PM central, a group said their printer was down. HP LaserJet Enterprise M605. It has a message of 33.05.13, Security Alert. I checked the other M605 and it had the same thing. I decided to go check a wall of HP Enterprise M72525 printers and to my shock, all 3 (which have bigger touch screens) had the same error. I started to panic. Our lone Enterprise Color LaserJet had the same error. All 10 of our Enterprise Level printers had this message. Regular class LaserJets/Deskjets had no problem. PC's and Servers were fine and we had no problem with day to day work except for printing.

Later in the day, our two Toshiba Copiers started acting very slowly.

Our primary server is a Dell VTRX system with two PowerEdge M630 (VRTX) blades that we only use one blade currently for production. I can get to the CMC fine but when I try to go into the blades IP address to launch the virtual console, it acts like a DoS attack and never fully connects. I connected a laptop directly to the CMC and everything comes up normal speed.

As mentioned, the biggest hit is the HP Enterprise Printers being totally down and the Toshiba copiers slow. Workstations, File Server, SQL, Applications all are fine...for now.

We have unmanaged switches and I was 5-6 weeks out from getting a budget to upgrade network equipment. But I digress.

My problem is I have no idea what is causing this and not a lot of tools or experience to help locate the problem. I have WireShark but don't know how to use or read the data.

What should I be looking for first? What can I do next? Should I power off all workstations in case one is infected with something causing a broadcast storm or DoS attack? Why cannot I get into my two blades? I am considering all options even powering off all workstations and then turn them on one by one to see if I can see if one of those is causing it.

I have until Monday morning to get this resolved. I do worry about it it might be a growing problem but wonder if it is safe to leave tonight and start fresh tomorrow...



No comments:

Post a Comment