Thursday, April 11, 2019

Running RJ45 cable underneath emergency corridor at festival: how to protect?

Dear community,

a search didn't yield any relevant posts to some problem I'll be facing (as long as I did not fail to find the correct one, in which I'd be glad if you could point me there!)

I'm responsible for networking at a small festival in my hometown, and we have the problem that the internet access point is in a building that will be completely cut off from the rest of the festival (where the network needs to go) by means of an emergency access corridor for firefighters and ambulances. Due to regulations we're not allowed to traverse the corridor at any height (obviously), so the only two options for us are a) run a WiFi across the corridor and b) run the cable underneath the corridor.

I had to resort to option a) last year, where I did the job for the first time on short notice, and this didn't work as somebody placed a huge steel container for trash directly in the line of sight of the wifi emitter. You can imagine how good the signal strength is after ten meters crossing through two walls of solid centimeter-thick steel.

So this year I would like to give option b) a chance. However, even if there's no emergency, vehicles up to 12 tons (maybe more) will be using the emergency corridor to access the main stage, which means any cable I run underneath the corridor needs extra care.

What I can make use of already: There'll be a protection layer to shield the grass underneath the corridor from too much damage. Additionally, there will be many protective mats that I thought could help disperse the weight of the vehicles further.

Do you have any further advice on how to adequately protect such fragile cables from too much stress and achieve such a crossing without having to worry too much of the cable tearing apart, including advice on suited cables (e.g. potentially flat RJ45)? Or is a suitable cable bridge which will completely shield the cable really the only viable alternative?

Thanks in advance for any help you might have!



No comments:

Post a Comment