Monday, April 1, 2019

GlobalProtect and other VPN clients. How to secure host devices by not allowing them to change routing info.

Hello all,

I had an argument a couple of days ago whether its actually worth tunneling all internet traffic to the firewall vs split-tunneling. I always thought that the traditional approach would be best until I was told that this could be easily changed by adding a static route to the host device.

So I have tested it. I have configured a PA device without split tunneling and verified that I get internet trhough the Palo Alto firewall. Then I put a static route on my end host bypassing the tunnel which worked!

I was aware that sometime in the past this could not have been achieavable. What changed? Is there any vpn client that does not allow route manipulation?

TLDR: By using GlobalProtect someone can bypass the firewall by adding static routes on their workstation. Can this be avoided?



No comments:

Post a Comment