Thursday, April 4, 2019

DHCP server on VM with Windows Server 2016 + Svive/Cisco switch

Hi,

I've setup a Virtual Machine with Windows Server 2016. I'm thinking of setting up a DHCP server, to try to learn more about networking. I'm just a bit scared of ruining the whole network for the students around the area.
My computer is cabled with a RJ-45 right now to port 8 on the Svive 8 port switch, and then from the switch-port 1 to my network point on the wall.

Do you guys think it will be OK do install the DHCP server on the VM. If i remove the switch, and just directly connect to the network point on the wall, will it interupt the other peoples network? :)

Thanks in advance. Tried googling it but couldn't find anything.

Btw, I've a Cisco catalyst 2960 switch also which I've not setup yet. Should I maybe change from the Svive 8 port to the 48 port 2960 switch, and then set everything up?



No comments:

Post a Comment