Friday, April 26, 2019

A Bit Over-My-Head Creating a Bridge

Apologies up front if this is painfully 100-level, but I'm at a point where I need to toss to folks with more experience.

I'm a mostly-not-network-focused IT / AV / webdev guy working for a high school. Most networking stuff is handled by a dedicated team, but they're a) overstretched and b) partly created the mess I'm trying to fix, so I'm trying to handle this myself.

Here's the scenario: we have an HVAC-type device that has remote-monitoring capability through a wired Ethernet connection. It's in a very inaccessible location with no Ethernet ports. We contacted our Network team, and they installed a wifi repeated instead of an Ethernet jack in the room. The device does NOT have wifi capability.

So, trying to be clever, I am trying to use an OpenWRT-loaded router to bridge the connection. I have the first steps working: the router connects to our WiFi, and if I plug a PC into the router, I have internet access and can ping local static IP devices on the wired network.

What I need is to assign a static IP that another PC on the network can use to reach the HVAC controller. I can't figure out quite how I manage that. The router itself is receiving an IP from DHCP, and I can ping that from a computer on our main network. But I can't communicate to the PC behind the router.

I'm at the point, obviously, where my knowledge of even the terms to search for is running dry. Any help would be appreciated.



No comments:

Post a Comment