Friday, March 29, 2019

Sanity Check please - converting a clusterfudge regional SMB away from static routing

I feel like I'm stepping into a time machine to the 90's here, but would really appreciate some advice from the collective.

I've inherited a real mess of a topology and addressing. It's a call center operation with 12 sites connected through a mix of mpls and vpns. They are on managed services with the mpls vendor and everything has been configured with a random variety of rfc1918's using static routes. Yes, it's a real sh*tshow.

I've mapped out a new ip scheme and plan to migrate them over, and obviously, they need to get on dynamic routing at the same time.

Question for you folks - is bgp overkill for this? Should I just go with ospf? Any advice for how to best migrate over would be most appreciated. I know I can simply verify the routes are showing up under bgp before removing the static entries, but feel like that's way too simple. Surely I'm overlooking something here - or just need more coffee?

Many thanks in advance.



No comments:

Post a Comment