Friday, March 29, 2019

Cat7 vs fiber for short distance 150ft max

I have to setup/design networking for new building we are moving. The server room is on main floor and I have switching room and second floor. Our IT manager suggested we use fiber links between floors. I am thinking do we really need them? I mean what is the advantage? Emi for one but not much else right? The thing is that I have x amount for the whole project and why would I spend more money of fiber links, installation/termination services, finer modules etc when I can just do cat 7 with rj45 and use any switch I want. Everything is ethernet in the company, iscsi over ethernet for storage etc...

I am missing something, I do not want to confront/suggest this to my manager if there is any other obvious advantage to fiber them not having emi interference... I am thinking straight?

I am not core networking guy , more sys admin and being accidental networking guy



No comments:

Post a Comment