Wednesday, March 6, 2019

[Request] Looking for a good RJ45 connector with color coded strain reliefs.

I'm not sure if this is the appropriate subreddit as most of the content seems to be above the physical layer. Feel free to point me to a more appropriate subreddit.

tl;dr - I'm trying to find an EZ RJ45 connector and strain relief system with as many colors for strain reliefs as possible (CAT6 UTP).

Background: I implement a product/service that lives down on a lower layer, below a typical layer 3 or 4, with multiple subnets and various nodes. Usually we provide one or two cabinets and I do all of the internal cabinet cabling and tipping myself. I like the cables to be laid out in a specific manner and organized a specific way. I have used white CAT6 UTP and EZ RJ45 connector and strain relief (both clear) in the past and differentiated the cabling for the subnets with a little color coded shrink wrap at the ends, along with labels.

Next project: My architecture for the next project is nearly identical to every other one I've done prior, but it is for a mission critical facility. I want the cabling to look a little more professional, but I'd still like to do it myself. I'll still be using CAT6 UTP and EZ RJ45 connectors, but I would like to get color coded strain reliefs.

I do not want standard boots for a couple reasons: they look and feel cheap, they are impossible to unlatch when the boot gets under the latch or the NIC is too close to server housing, and they never stay on the connector. I've been many places where the cabling is too taught and the boot isn't providing strain relief because it's fallen down the cable 4-6". Having to use a key or screwdriver to unlatch a stuck connector due to the boot is the other common problem I come across. I like the security of the EZ RJ45 connectors and strain reliefs, where the strain reliefs get crimped into the connector itself.

Problem: I count at least eight subnets for this next implementation (still in the planning and design phase). I expect to realistically need ten color combinations after the design is approved and everything is accounted for. The only 'system' I can find with color strain reliefs is the EZ RJ45 line from Platinum Tools (Connectors and Strain Reliefs). That only leaves me seven colors when you include 'clear.'

Does anybody have suggestions for another color coded tipping system with more variety and preferably still pass-thru?

My other thought was to buy another spool of CAT6 UTP in a different color, which would allow me 14 variations. I like having all the cable the same color though, but that may be my only option. I'm not overly concerned about the budget and a spool of UTP is relatively inexpensive, but bear in mind I'm typically using 250ft or less for each project since it's all within the same cabinet.

Thanks



No comments:

Post a Comment